Lights are an essential accessory to your bike that serves much more than illuminating a road. They make you visible in low-light conditions and also come in handy if adverse weather hits.
According to the Australian road rules, you’re required to equip your bike with front and rear lights if you plan to ride during night time.
And while there are many products out there that comply with this rule, equipping your two wheels with the best bike lights can truly boost your cycling experience. All lights on our list are praised for their features and reliability.
After the summary table below, we discuss the key things to look out for when choosing bike lights, followed by detailed reviews of the best products available in Australia.
Our top pick: Evolva Rechargeable X8 Bike Light
The Evolva Rechargeable X8 Bike Light is one of the most versatile solutions on the market.
It is designed to provide you with up to 76 hours of continuous light on the ECO setting and boasts 6 modes which allow you to navigate through illuminated city streets as well as off-road trails.
It has an unrivalled 1,800 max lumen output and comes equipped with two Cree XLamp XM-L2 LEDs.
Easy to recharge via USB from a mobile device, PC, or wall outlet and easily visible from afar, the Evolva is the best bike light you can find.
- Up to 4 hours of light on max setting.
- Light beam distance of up to 148 metres.
- Built-in battery pack.
- Smart battery life indicator.
- Poor water resistance vs other options.
Nevastar 1000 Lumens Bicycle Light Set
If you need more than just a front light and are on a tight budget, the Nevastar 1000 Lumens Bicycle Light Set may suit your needs.
This set also delivers impressive versatility thanks to the five light modes you can choose from.
From harsh to low, strobe, and SOS mode, you’ll be able to use these lights for much more than illuminating the road.
Both lights include a durable aluminium alloy housing that resists water, collisions, and corrosion. The set is also ridiculously easy to install and comes at a more than attractive price tag.
- DIN IPX4 water resistance.
- Front and rear bike lights set.
- Designed for use on all terrains.
- 1,000 max lumen output.
- You may want to carry extra batteries with you.
Tauter Bicycle Headlight Taillight Combinations
The Tauter bike lights are perfect for commuters as well as road cyclists who enjoy a night ride.
Made from reliable materials and capable of outputting up to 400 lumens, this set incorporates a host of benefits.
One of the best features is the outstanding water resistance of all three lamps.
Speaking of lamps, you’ll get a front, a rear, and a helmet light, all of which boast simple installation.
Multifunctional, easy to charge, and providing light for up to 6 hours, this set is perfect for night-time cycling in the city.
- IP64 waterproof rating.
- Front lamp is rechargeable via USB.
- Four adjustable light modes.
- Helmet light included.
- Less suitable for off-road riding.
Yomao USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set
Another set designed for urban use are these great lights by Yomao.
This USB rechargeable combo has a 1,200mAh battery capacity and provides up to 6 hours of runtime, depending on the mode you decide to use.
With IP5 water resistance, this set may not withstand heavy showers but you’ll still be able to ride in light rain. Furthermore, the set also includes a helmet light, a bike bell, and two USB cables.
- Four lighting modes including flash mode.
- Quality plastic and rubber materials.
- Ideal for urban cycling at night or in low light.
- The water resistance rating could be improved.
Newdora High Lumens Bike Lights
Another set worth considering is the Newdora High Lumens Bike Lights. This one is all about safety, creating a smooth beam pattern visible for up to 500 metres.
At the same time, the beam is wide enough to illuminate the road in front of you.
The slide-on swivelling mount is another feature we like. It makes the lights easy to install or release as needed.
In terms of performance, there is little to complain about. Three lighting modes and solid aluminium construction make these an excellent choice. The only slight downside is a poorer water resistance compared to other lights on this list.
- USB-rechargeable front light.
- One-year worry-free warranty.
- Rear light doubles as an emergency light.
- The lights might not resist heavy showers.
How To Pick The Best Bike Lights
Before rushing out to the closest bike store, here are a few features you should weigh in when buying bike lights:
- Lumen output: Most cyclists believe that the higher the lumen output, the better, but this isn’t always true. If you’re mostly cycling in the city with street lights, an output of around 400 lumens could suffice. However, if you’re mostly riding off-road, more lumens mean more visibility.
- Water resistance: It is essential to have bike lights that resist water splashes and showers so that they can resist rain.
- Power source: Bike lights are powered either by a dynamo or a battery. While the dynamo gives you peace of mind, the battery option usually provides more light. Ultimately, you can choose any type as long as the lights you buy comply with the law.