Capturing that perfect Instagramable selfie is often daunting. The best selfie stick could turn the hassle into a pleasure though.
But how to choose the right one from the bountiful range of sticks on the market?
To help you with your choice, we’ve reviewed some of the most popular models. Check them out below.
Our top pick: Ottertooth Selfie Stick
Dreaming of the perfect Instagram shot? If you want to capture a wide scenery and aim for versatility, check out the Ottertooth selfie stick.
It extends up to 137 centimetres and can be used as a selfie stick, table tripod, or handheld tripod.
Easily controllable via Bluetooth, the stick is also compatible with most Android and iOS devices.
- Fairly lightweight
- Compatible with most mobile phones, cameras, and GoPro devices
- Multi-angle rotating head adjusts to your needs
- Slightly larger than a regular selfie stick
The BlitzWoolf BW-BS5 is one of the best selfie sticks currently on the market, and certainly one of the most popular. It is compatible with most types of iPhone and Android devices, as well as GoPro and DSLR cameras.
With a super-long reach of 81.5 centimetres, this stick can capture wide scenery and help you shoot memorable selfies.
Furthermore, you can turn the stick into a tripod and immortalise group photos in moments. Undoubtedly, all you could wish from a best-in-class selfie stick.
- Tripod offers exceptional stability on most flat surfaces
- Up to 24 hours of Bluetooth connectivity
- Compact when folded and lightweight
- Use with GoPro reportedly a bit more challenging than with phones
CREUSA Bluetooth Selfie Stick With Tripod
Whether you’re looking to capture the perfect shot or record your adventures, the CREUSA selfie stick could be your faithful companion. It is compatible with a host of devices and can be used in both stick and tripod modes.
Superb quality and nice weight of fewer than 250 grams make this product ideal to take on camping or hikes.
- Compatible with a wide range of devices
- Lightweight and portable stick expands to 92 centimetres
- Included remote control delivers ease of use
- Batteries may need fairly regular recharging
Ideal for documenting your holidays or athletic performance, the BW-BS3 by BlitzWoolf is a hybrid selfie stick and tripod.
It’s perfect to use for all types of shots, and it’s compatible with an array of devices.
A separable wireless remote also ensures you can capture the perfect shots in all circumstances.
The key differences between this product and the BW-BS5 (our top pick) is the BS5 is compatible with GoPro, has a longer max extension, and is slightly heavier.
- Non-slip rubber foot pads provide stability on most surfaces
- Rotating phone holder allows selecting horizontal or vertical camera modes
- Measures less than 20 centimetres when collapsed
- Some users have struggled with the user manual
AiScrofa Mini Selfie Stick
If you’re looking after a compact, lightweight, and cheap selfie stick to take on your travels, this Mini Selfie Stick from AiScrofa could be the one.
It has a unique lipstick design that not only fits perfectly in a small clutch, but it’s even compact enough to hold in a pocket.
The stick can rotate to 180° so you can reach the best angle and is compatible with most iPhone and Android devices.
- Remote Bluetooth connection
- Lightweight and extremely compact design
- Available in multiple styles and colours
- It may not reach as far as other selfie sticks. However, this is to be expected from a mini model
How To Choose a Selfie Stick
If you think all selfie sticks were created equal, think again. Here are a few important things you should consider before buying.
Are you planning to use your selfie stick with a smartphone, GoPro, or another type of camera?
The gear you want to mount on the stick determines what type of stick you need.
Most selfie sticks have adjustable mounts that ensure suitability with most types of gear.
RELATED: The Best Travel Umbrella
Check the stick’s length both when folded and when unfolded. The former determines how easy it is to carry.
The latter, how far it will reach. Some sticks collapse to 20 centimetres or less and are easy to stow in a backpack or purse.
As for the maximum reach, aim for a stick with a total length of at least 70 centimetres.
Selfie sticks control your device either through a cable or via Bluetooth.
While Bluetooth provides greater benefits, it also adds weight to the stick, and you’ll depend on a battery.
For more information to help with choosing your selfie stick check out this guide.
RELATED: The Best Car Phone Holder